LETTERS TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES
During the 2016 Presidential Campaign, American Christian Leaders for Israel (ACLI) submitted a letter to each of the presidential candidates highlighting the chief principles deemed necessary to maintain the valuable friendship between Israel and the USA. Some 650 Christian leaders signed this letter demonstrating to the candidates that together we represent many millions of Christians in the United States who recognize the mutual benefit to both nations of a close strategic partnership with Israel.
The vast majority of the American people support Israel, and we felt it was our responsibility to make sure that the next President of the United States reflects the will of people and stands in friendship with the nation and people of Israel.
FIVE GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR THE PRESIDENT:
- Implement the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 and relocate the US Embassy in Israel to its capital city of Jerusalem.
- Renew and strengthen the US’s Memorandum of Understanding to fund Israel’s growing security needs.
- Combat any efforts at the local, state, or federal level to boycott, divest from, or sanction Israel.
- Monitor Iran’s ongoing violations of sanctions and to toughen current sanctions as well as impose new ones as necessary.
- Oppose any imposed solutions to the Palestinian conflict on Israel by outside parties, including the United Nations Security Council.
Israel, an island of hope and freedom, lives in an increasingly stormy sea of despair and terror. Now more than ever, we must speak in a unified voice to our future leaders to ensure a strong stance with our Israeli friends.